Fixing a PS4 Controller that’s Not Turning On
The PS4 controller can be a wonderful tool for many gamers, but it isn’t always reliable. Sometimes the controller won’t turn on at all no matter how long you put it on charge. Other times it seems to have a short battery life to the extent that it barely turns on for a few seconds then turns off.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the ways you can fix these problems so that your PS4 controller will work like new again!
But before going through the issue to fix it, we need to learn how to properly turn on the PS4 controller and how to charge it.
How to Turn On PS4 Controller
Turning on the PS4 controller is way too easy. To turn on your PS4 controller, simply connect the controller using a micro USB cable through any PS4 USB ports, and then press the PS button located between the analogue sticks in the center of the device. Once the controller light turns on, you can remove the cable and use the controller wirelessly.
How to charge the PS4 controller
Once you have connected the PS4 controller to the USB port, it will start charging its battery when the PS4 is on. It’s important that you leave the PS button pressed while charging to make sure it charges properly.
You can also charge your controller by plugging in a USB charger or connecting its micro-USB cable with an external battery pack, such as a power bank.
Why PS4 Controller Won’t Turn On
When the PS4 controller won’t turn on, it means there’s a hardware issue must be fixed. There are a few reasons that cause the PS4 controller not turning on, that are:
- Bad battery issue. This is one of the most common causes for PS4 controllers that won’t turn on. The controller’s battery is the rechargeable cell in your PS4 controller that holds power in order to turn the device on. It can wear out, and when it does you’ll need to replace it with a new one.
- Hardware Problem: if the controller has been dropped or water damaged, it may need to be replaced.
- You charge your controller on a malfunctioning PS4 USB port or using a damaged USB cable.
- Firmware bug: if there is a minor glitch like firmware bug that prevents controller from charging properly or booting up then you can fix this with resetting of the console and controllers.
These are the most common reasons why the PS4 controller won’t turn on. Below we’ll learn how to fix this issue without the need to buy a new PS4 controller. If nothing works eventually, you’ll need to buy a new controller.
Fixing PS4 Controller Not Turning On
Please implement the methods below in order to fix the not turning on PS4 controller.
- Check if the controller is being charged on a malfunctioning PS4 USB port. To verify that, try to charge your PS4 controller on a PC or another console and after like 30 minutes check if it turns on or not.
- Hard-reset the PS4 controller in order to restore the factory settings and resolve any performance issue with the controller.
- Replace the PS4 controller’s battery, as it seems dead and no longer holds power inside.
- Buy a new PS4 controller replacement. Ok, this is the last resort, but if nothing has worked for you, you will need a new controller. But make sure that the problem is not with your PS4 USB port, as you’ll end up making the wrong decision.
So, to summarize the article:
Make sure that you have sufficient power and no USB issues. If not, go ahead with hard resetting the PS4 controller or replacing your battery. If it still doesn’t work but is under warranty, contact Sony for a replacement. Otherwise buy a new PS controller!