PS5 Wired Connection Slower Than WiFi: Causes and Solutions
One of the advantages of owning a PS5 is that you can enjoy fast and smooth online gaming and streaming with its powerful hardware and features. However, some users have faced a surprising issue: their PS5 wired connection is slower than WiFi, which should not be the case. Why does this happen and how can you fix it? In this article, we will explain some of the possible reasons and solutions for this issue, based on the feedback and tips of other PS5 users on Reddit and other sources.
There are several factors that could make your PS5 wired connection slower than WiFi. Some of the most common ones are:
- Faulty or incompatible Ethernet cable: If your Ethernet cable is damaged, old, or not compatible with your PS5 or router, it could affect your internet speed and performance. For example, if you are using a Cat 5 cable, which has a maximum speed of 100 Mbps, you will not be able to enjoy the full potential of your gigabit internet connection. You should use a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable, which can support up to 1000 Mbps.
- Faulty or incompatible router or modem: If your router or modem is outdated, malfunctioning, or not compatible with your PS5 or internet service provider (ISP), it could also cause your wired connection to be slower than WiFi. For example, if your router does not support gigabit Ethernet ports, you will not be able to achieve the maximum speed of your wired connection. You should check the specifications of your router or modem and make sure they match your ISP’s requirements and your PS5’s capabilities.
- Incorrect or corrupted network settings: If your network settings on your PS5 or router are incorrect or corrupted, they could interfere with your wired connection and cause it to be slower than WiFi. For example, if your IP address, DNS server, MTU, or proxy settings are wrong or conflicting, they could prevent your PS5 from communicating properly with the PlayStation Network (PSN) or other online services. You should check your network settings and make sure they are correct and consistent.
- PSN server issues: Sometimes, the problem is not on your end, but on Sony’s end. If the PSN servers are down, overloaded, or undergoing maintenance, they could affect your internet speed and performance on your PS5. You can check the status of the PSN servers on their official website or on their Twitter account. If the servers are having issues, you will have to wait until they are resolved before you can enjoy a faster wired connection.
Depending on the cause of the problem, there are different ways to fix it and make your PS5 wired connection faster than WiFi. Here are some of the most effective solutions that have worked for other users:
- Use a different Ethernet cable: If you suspect that your Ethernet cable is faulty or incompatible, you should try using a different one and see if it improves your internet speed. You should use a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable that is compatible with your PS5 and router. You should also make sure that the cable is not too long, twisted, bent, or exposed to heat or moisture.
- Use a different router or modem: If you suspect that your router or modem is faulty or incompatible, you should try using a different one and see if it improves your internet speed. You should use a router or modem that supports gigabit Ethernet ports and is compatible with your ISP and PS5. You should also make sure that the router or modem is updated to the latest firmware version.
- Update your network settings: If you suspect that your network settings are incorrect or corrupted, you should try updating them and see if it improves your internet speed. You can update your network settings on your PS5 by going to [Settings] > [Network] > [Settings] > [Set Up Internet Connection] > [Set Up Manually] > [Use a LAN Cable]. This will force your PS5 to recognize the higher gigabit link speeds available. You can also update your network settings on your router by accessing its web interface and following its instructions.
- Contact PlayStation support: If none of the above solutions work for you, you might need to contact PlayStation support for further assistance. You can reach them by phone, chat, email, or social media. They will be able to check your account status, troubleshoot the problem, and provide you with a solution.
Using a wired connection on your PS5 should give you faster and more stable internet speeds than using WiFi. However, sometimes this is not the case due to various factors such as faulty or incompatible hardware, incorrect or corrupted network settings, or PSN server issues. If you encounter this problem, you should try using a different Ethernet cable, a different router or modem, updating your network settings, or contacting PlayStation support. Hopefully, one of these solutions will help you enjoy the benefits of a faster wired connection on your PS5.
Frequently Asked Questions> [Network] > [Connection Status] > [Test Internet Connection]. This will show you your download and upload speeds, as well as your NAT type and connection quality.” image-1=”” headline-2=”h5″ question-2=”How can I improve my WiFi speed on my PS5?” answer-2=”If you prefer to use WiFi instead of a wired connection on your PS5, you can improve your WiFi speed by doing the following:
- Use a WiFi 6 router that supports the latest wireless standard and is compatible with your PS5.
- Place your router in a central and open location that is close to your PS5 and away from other devices or objects that could cause interference.
- Use the 5 GHz frequency band instead of the 2.4 GHz frequency band, as it offers faster speeds and less congestion.
- Change your WiFi channel to a less crowded one that has less interference from other networks.
- Update your router’s firmware to the latest version.
” image-2=”” count=”3″ html=”true” css_class=””]