PS4 Controller Flashing White Light | Fixed by Experts
It’s natural to be concerned when your PlayStation or peripherals perform things you’ve never seen before. The LED light on the DualShock 4 controller rarely flashes white. In fact, the flashing white light on your DualShock 4 controller might be caused by one of two things: the battery running out or the controller failing to connect to your PS4 console or computer (i.e. if you’re trying to use the PS4 controller on a PC). Both of these issues can be resolved if the instructions are carefully followed and properly implemented.
Eventually, you just need to fix the PS4 controller white light issue so you can get back to playing your games with full enjoyment and no trouble. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
What Is The PS4 controller White Light Of Death?
When your PS4 controller begins to flash white, it’s a bad omen of a hardware failure. But don’t be pessimistic when this happens to you, as your problem might be as easy as cleaning the inside of your controller or resetting it. In fact, it’s an easy-to-fix issue in most scenarios. It’s rare that we have to change the PS4 controller battery or the conductive film in order to fix the PS4 controller blinking white light.
But, after all, worry not. You need to try all solutions listed below before going for a new controller or trying to tinker with its hardware components.
Why Is PS4 Controller Flashing White?
If your PS4 controller’s white light flashes, know that you’re not usually dealing with a serious problem, but rather simple connectivity or low battery issue in most cases. There is no need to be concerned because this is a pretty common occurrence.
You may notice your PS4 controller flashing white light through the light bar for a variety of reasons. The most common are:
- The PS4 Controller’s battery is low and must be charged.
- After attempting to connect with the PS4 console, the PS4 Controller is unable to do so.
There might be other minor reasons that rarely happen and only specialists are aware of. We’ll not go too technical and we’ll try to make this as simple as possible thus we’ll settle for two reasons that are the most common.
Fixing The PS4 Controller Flashing White Light
In this section, we’ll show you how to fix the PS4 controller flashing white error that occurs when the controller is unable to connect to the console.
Consider the likelihood of the blinking white light on the PS4 controller caused by a low battery before proceeding with the steps below. Check the charge on your PS4 controller and plug it into a power source.
If this doesn’t work, try one of the following techniques:
1. Examine your PS4 controller
The PS4 controller blinking white light might be caused by hardware problems. It’s possible that your controller has been damaged due to mistreatment, insufficient care, or just because of degradation due to old age. You may be unable to connect to the console or charge the controller if the internal mechanism is damaged or malfunctioning.
One of the very first steps to examining the functionality of your PS4 controller is to check to see if the cords are correctly attached. Remove and reattach the controller if they aren’t. The blinking light should not be seen when you turn it on. This is how you can troubleshoot your PlayStation 4 controller.
2. Disconnect The PS4 Controller From Power
One of the efficient methods to fix issues on the PS4 controller is to totally disconnect it from power and remove its battery. This will drain any static electricity remanents out of the PS4 controller components that might be causing this problem.
Make sure to first turn off the PS4 controller before doing that.
Now leave the controller disconnected from power for around 5 minutes, then reconnect the battery to it.
3. Reset the analog controller on your PS4.
Many PS4 controller issues can be resolved by resetting the controller. You can resolve difficulties such as the blinking light, Bluetooth connectivity faults, syncing problems, and others.
To reset the PS4 controller setup, follow these steps:
- Turn the PlayStation 4 off.
- Turn your controller around and look for the tiny hole with the Reset button inside. The reset button is located near the L2 shoulder button on your controller.
- To press the reset button, insert a narrow object with a small point, such as a pin, toothpick, or straightened paper clip, into the hole.
- Remove the little pin from the hole after a few seconds of holding it in place.
- Once you’ve reset the computer, you’ll need to link the controller with the console again via the USB cord.
- Turn on your PlayStation 4 and press the PS4 button.
Check now whether the PS4 controller white light issue is still happening or not. If it is, try the next methods.
4. Update the PS4 Controller Firmware On a PC
The PS4 controller can be fixed by updating its driver files on a PC. The PS4 controller driver, like any other driver, can become damaged or obsolete, causing the system to malfunction. When you attach the PS4 controller to the computer, the controller is recognized as a device. This way, you can update it just like any other driver on your computer.
The following are the steps for updating the PS4 controller via Windows:
- Press the Windows key and the R key to launch the Run tool, then type the following command: “devmgmt.msc“
- This is the Device Manager window’s command. Choose your PS4 from the long list of available drivers.
- From the context menu, right-click on the PS4 controller device and select Uninstall device.
- Select Delete the driver software for this device from the confirmation dialog box and click the Uninstall button.
- Restart the computer after disconnecting the PS4 controller.
- Get the most recent driver update from the controller manufacturer’s website. You may acquire it from Sony PlayStation’s support website for the PS4’s special DualShock 4 controllers.
- Finish installing the driver by connecting the PS4 controller to the computer.
After you’ve completed this procedure, check the controller to see whether the PS4 controller light bar is still flashing white or not. If you can’t identify the new device’s driver, try disconnecting it and restarting your computer.
5. Start your PS4 in safe mode.
If you didn’t already know, the PlayStation 4 offers a safe mode for updating software and managing databases. You can put the PS4 into safe mode if your controller is flashing white or not working. You should be aware that the present setup will be lost before you begin.
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you need.
To enter the safe mode, follow these steps:
- Turn off your PlayStation 4. The indicator will blink a few times after pressing the power button on the console’s front panel.
- Hold down the power button for roughly 7 seconds, or until two beeps are heard. The first beep will be heard when you initially click the power button, and the second beep will be heard after 7 seconds.
- Connect the original controller to the PS4 with the help of a USB cord, and you’ll be taken to the PS4 safe mode.
- To wipe the old database and create a new one, select the Rebuild Database option.
6. Use a Micro USB Power Cable.
The PS4 controller blinking white light issue might be caused by an unstable and intermittent Bluetooth connection. The Bluetooth connection can be jumpstarted using USB cords. The USB cord provides a wired connection, which is subsequently used to connect to the system through Bluetooth.
- After turning off the PS4, put it in sleep mode.
- Disconnect all of the console’s power wires.
- Discharge the PS4’s battery by pushing the power button on the console.
- Connect the controller to the console with a USB cord.
- Turn on the PS4 and press any of the controller’s buttons.
Now, it should be possible for the PS4 system to detect the controller and that the PS4 controller white light issue is gone. If not, continue with implementing other methods.
Another way to fix the Ps4 controller blinking white light issue is to press the PS button and the Share button on your controller simultaneously. Although this is not a standard method of resetting the controller, several people have claimed that it works.
All you have to do now is press the PS button and the Share button on your controller at the same time and wait for the PS4 to switch on. This should resolve the issue, and you should be able to connect to the console properly after that and get rid of the PS4 controller white light issue.
8. Use a different controller to change the configuration.
PS4 users can substitute a spare controller for the one that is flashing white. They can also use a different controller to modify some settings that will stop the blinking lights from happening.
Before you begin this method of controller repair, attach the spare controller to the PS4 and use it to get the blinking one working. The ways to resolve this issue with a functional controller are as follows:
- Open the PS4 Settings menu.
- Select Bluetooth devices in the Devices settings. In this window, only the spare controller will be visible.
- Take the flashing controller and press and hold the PS and Share buttons until the light bar flashes twice every second.
- Select the malfunctioning controller and replace it with a different controller. An attempt will be made to reconnect the blinking controller as a result of this.
- In the prompt, select Yes.
If you see that the blinking has ceased, you’ve found the solution to your problem.
If none of the previous approaches work, it’s necessary to seek professional assistance or purchase a new controller.
As a result, the PlayStation 4 Controller, also known as the DualShock 4 Controller, is required to play games on our console. In comparison to prior controllers, the PlayStation 4 Controller looks fantastic and offers simple controls for playing video games.
PS4 Controller errors are prevalent, and they can be easily rectified using simple procedures. If you have your own hacks, please share them with us so that we can help others with the PS4 Controller Flashing White problem.
We have provided clear instructions, but if anyone has any questions, please leave a message in the box below. Contact us by leaving a comment if you need further information or technical assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
There are two common causes of the PS4 controller flashing white issue. One is due to a low battery, which means you'll need to charge your PS4 controller in order to get it back on track. Another cause is that your controller is attempting to connect to your PlayStation 4, but has been unsuccessful due to an unknown factors.
The console is frozen and requires debugging if the indicator light only blinks white or the blue light never transitions to solid white. The stages to troubleshooting are as follows: Remove the console from the wall. Wait 60 seconds before plugging in the console and turning it back on.
What is PS4 white light of death?
The white light of death, on the other hand, is intimately linked to HDMI difficulties and a loss of connection. This issue usually indicates that the TV is not connected. This could be something as easy as a faulty HDMI port connection or as serious as a blown IC chip in your PS4's HDMI port.