PS4 Power Button Not Working | Fixed by Experts
A PS4 may not turn on for various reasons such as:
- Power source is not working.
- There are some problems with the power cable.
- The connection of the Power button to the power source is damaged.
- There is a short circuit somewhere inside the PS4.
In order to check if the PS4 power button is working correctly, you can do these:
- Plug in the PS4. There has to be a light indicator somewhere stating that the PS4 is plugged in. If this is working, it means your PS4 is able to get enough power from the power source and that the power cable is also working.
- Press the Power button and see if your PS4 turns on. If not and the plug indicator is on, it means that your Power button is the thing that isn’t working correctly. You may need to open up your PS4 to check if the connection inside is well, connected or not. The problem with the connection is one of the most common reasons why a Power button isn’t working correctly.
Your PS4 Will Not Turn On, What Now?
If you push the PS4 power button and nothing happens, start with a check list, to rule out something really simple.
1. Don’t Panic
Most people get into panic mode when they realize their Ps4 console won’t start. People get frustrated because they cannot access their games/apps. One of the reasons why a PS4 won’t start is the failure of a piece of hardware. In most cases, it’s usually not the hard drive that stores all files.
2. Check the power
Before start the troubleshooting process, make sure that:
- the power switch on the UPS, surge protector or the power strip is turned on.
- Make sure there isn’t a problem with the actual outlet by unplugging the Ps4, and trying plug something else in, and make sure it works. Don’t forget to plug the PS4 back in after this test.
- Check for a disconnected power cable: It is possible that your PS4 won’t turn on because it is unplugged or there’s a loose power cable. It is important to verify this.
Ideas and Solutions
If all these things have been checked out, you need to look for other causes and solutions.
1. Consider replacing the power cable
It’s common for that a PS4 power cable might be faulty. The PS4 power cable refers to the cable that runs from the power source to the back of the console.
2. Perform a lamp test
Perform this test to verify that the power is being supplied from the wall. Your PS4 console cannot turn on if the power source is not working. It is, therefore, important to ascertain that the power source is working properly.
3. Test your power supply
Test your PS4 power supply to see if it is working. It’s common for the supply unit to be faulty. If this is the case, it needs to be replaced. Replace the power supply unit when it fails this test.
This is not a very common failure, but since your PS4 won’t start, it may be that your PS4’s power button is damaged. Replace your PS4’s power button when it fails the test.
5. Replace your motherboard
If you have ascertained that your button, power supply, and your wall power are working, it is likely that one of the components of your motherboard is not working. You should consider replacing your motherboard, but you should probably have this ascertained by a professional.