How Much Does It Cost To Fix an Overheating PS4
If you’ve been experiencing problems with your PS4 overheating, you’re not alone. This is a common issue that many people have to deal with when the PS4 ages and is used for years. In this blog post, we will explore the symptoms of an overheating PS4 and we’ll calculate the overall cost of repairing an overheating PS4. We will also discuss some of the causes of PS4 overheating and how to avoid them so that you can take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.
Causes of PS4 Overheating
There are several factors that can cause your PS4 to overheat, and depending on that the cost of fixing the overheating PS4 is determined. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Lack of ventilation – When your PS4 is placed in a tight or enclosed space, it will not have enough airflow and this can cause it to overheat. Some people may cover their PS4 with a rag or piece of clothing which will result in overheating. Make sure you place your PS4 in a well-ventilated area so that the heat can dissipate. If this is what causes your PS4 to overheat, the cost is almost free.
- Dust and debris – If your PS4 console is not cleaned on a regular basis, it will accumulate dust and debris which can cause it to overheat. Make sure you clean your PS4 every few weeks using a soft cloth and some mild detergent. You may want also to buy an air duster (like this one) for this purpose that may cost you around $70, which is costly for many users.
- Excessive use – When you use your PS4 for an extended period of time, it can cause the console to overheat. Make sure you take regular breaks and give your PS4 a chance to cool down, or just invest in a PS4 cooling stand to work around this issue, which will cost you around $25 as of the time of writing.
- Faulty hardware – If there is a problem with your PS4’s hardware, it can lead to overheating. If you think that your PS4 may be experiencing problems, it is best to take it to a professional for repairs. If this is your case, the cost depends on the hardware component that causes the overheating. In most cases, it’s the fan. We’ll discuss the costs in detail in the last section of this article.
- Degrading thermal paste – This is not often the case, but it does happen to some users. When the PS4 thermal paste is no longer functional like before, there will be a sort of deficiency in the heat dissipation process that will lead eventually the PS4 to overheat.
- Extreme temperatures – If you live in an area that experiences extreme temperatures, your PS4 can overheat. Make sure you keep your PS4 in a cool, dry place and avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or near heat sources.
- Software issues – If there are any software issues with your PS4, it can cause the console to overheat, especially if your PS4 hard drive is already degrading or undergoing some bad sectors. In this case, you may want to full-format your PS4 HDD or just upgrade your PS4 internal HDD to a better drive.
In the next section, we’ll discuss the symptoms of an overheating PS4 in order to make sure that your PS4 really has an overheating issue, not something else.
Symptoms of an Overheating PS4
So, if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible.
Const Of Fixing an Overheating PS4
The cost of fixing an overheating PS4 can vary depending on the cause and severity of the problem and the type of repairs that are needed and whether you’re going to do it yourself or take it to a repair shop.
Cost of Fixing Overheating PS4 Yourself
So, if you’re savvy enough and have decided to fix your overheating PS4 yourself, you have first to learn how to clean the inside of the PS4 and buy the suitable tools for this purpose (i.e. dirt is the primary reason for PS4 overheating).
What you’ll need here is:
- TECKMAN PRECISION T9 TORX SECURITY SCREWDRIVER (cost is around $7)
- Compressed Air Duster (costs around $70)
So, the total cost is around $77. Yes, it’s somewhat an expensive price for just cleaning the inside of the PS4, and a repair shop will not take more than $15 to do it for you (it’s just a few minutes of work). But the problem is that you need to regularly keep the inside of your PS4 clean in order to avoid overheating in the future and keep your console running at its peak and optimum performance. That’s why I advise all PS4 users to buy these tools and frequently keep cleaning their consoles.
If the PS4 is still overheating after the thorough cleaning you have done, try to full-format the PS4 internal HDD. You can also view our in-depth, comprehensive guide on fixing PS4 overheating and see what else you can do in order to resolve this issue.
If you have figured out that your PS4 fan is slow or making loud noise and not functioning properly, you may want to replace it. We recommend QUETTERLEE Replacement Internal Cooling Fan for PS4, and it will cost you around $16.
Now, if everything seems ok and functional after cleaning the PS4, yet your PS4 is still overheating, you may want to change the thermal paste. We recommend ARCTIC MX-4 thermal paste for this purpose. It will cost you around $10.
After all, if the PS is still overheating, there might be a serious hardware failure in your console, mostly the CPU or PSU, and you need to take it to a repair shop to fix it for you.
Cost of Fixing Overheating PS4 By a Technician
So, if you have eventually decided to take your overheating to a repair shop, bear in mind that the cost depends on the actual reason for overheating.
On the other hand, we strongly recommend that you first try to fix your PS4 overheating yourself in order to save your money and avoid paying a high price for some greedy technicians.
Avoiding PS4 Overeating In the Future
In order to maintain a cool PS4 that doesn’t overheat over time, you have to regularly clean it and make sure it gets sufficient ventilation. Please visit our guide: “How to stop and prevent PS4 from overheating” for more tips and tricks in this regard.
We hope this blog post has been helpful and informative. If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact us at any time by commenting below on this article. Thank you for reading.